Los Angeles and Co-Ops

One of the reasons why I love being from LA is that there is awareness when it comes to eating organic food and being environmentally aware. Yes, I'm sure we're nowhere near Portland or even Seattle, but we're getting there. 
Like some of you know, I have my own garden. This year there was a delay. I had some earwig issues and needed to find an organic and ethical way to get them out of my garden. Solution: due to the fact that earwigs like damp dark places and are nocturnal bugs, you can wet newspapers and leave them on the soil. They all huddle there since they do not want to be in sunlight. You can just pick up the paper with them in it the next day. You can even place that in a cereal box as well. Problem solved. 
While at the LA artwalk, there was a co-op there, Fresh Farm to You. Now, I had looked into different co-ops and sadly none delivered to my area. My friends in Carlsbad had an amazing one. Echo Park and Silverlake areas also get them. I wasn't going to walk over to their booth but I just did. Luckily they did come to these neck of the woods! So today, I got my first delivery!!! 

Fresh Farms to You

There are different choices of the mix you want in your box: all veggies, all fruit, or a no cooking box. Sizes also range. You are assigned a delivery day, but if the time they deliver isn't good for you, you can switch it. You can cancel anytime or even cancel certain weeks if you go out of town, no additional charges of fees. Oh! You also choose how often you want deliveries. I think the lady that helped me even mentioned you can trade things out, like veggie for a different veggie. You can get a discount on the first delivery, if anyone is interested let me know. 

I got the following mix of fruits and veggies in my box: lettuce, fiji apples, oranges, lemons, avocados, rhubarb, broccoli, fennel, strawberries, potatoes, and miyataki mushrooms. 





So of course, I decided to make some strawberry-rhubarb turnovers! I made a simple  whole wheat pie crust and left it in the fridge for an hour. Then I made this filling from Martha Stewart of course. Oh, I obviously replaced the raspberries with a cup and a half of strawberries. By the way, amazing flavors, everything so fresh and organic. 

blurry, sorry
(Yes, with my Anthropologie apron) 

even the lemon juice and zest was from my delivery

also made a mini pie in a ramekin 

so delicious
My friend and family thought they were great. I don't know what to make with the rest of my things...I will post my dishes. Bon appetite! 




Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks they were! Hence they're all gone lol I need to make more

      Delete
  2. Hun you should have saved me some  you know we both have a massive appreciation to organic: anything” lol! Love your post, I had to catch up! But I read all the previous post just uber amazing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, they're all gone already. I'll make more next time...yay organic. Thanks!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts