Summer Treats

After a long weekend, I was able to sleep in today (8 a.m.). Seeing how I was somewhat physically drained and bored to be home, I wanted to make a few refreshing things today. I made biscuits and berries, pomegranate-orangeade, and a watermelon pomegranate mint salad. 

biscuit & berries with ice cream
pomegranate-orangeade
   
                 

watermelon, pomegranate, & mint salad

I found a recipe online for biscuits and berries. I'll take you through a step by step below: First of all, turn your oven on to 375° F. 

dry ingredients
We'll start with the biscuits. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl: 2 cups of flour, 4 teaspoons of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. The ingredients are in everyone's kitchen. I didn't need to buy anything except for the strawberries. Next step, cut 5 tablespoons of butter into pats not into cubes. The reason for this is that you need to cut it into the dry ingredients until it's crumbly. 

pats of butter
Now it's time for the wet ingredients: ½ of plain yogurt and ⅔ of milk. Once you bite into that first biscuit, you'll see that the yogurt keeps the inside very moist. 

wet ingredients

I forgot to take pictures of the next step, so sorry about that. Take and ice cream scooper to scoop the batter. It's really sticky! I tried forming the balls with just my hands... I had to look for our ice cream scooper. Right before you put the ball onto the cookie sheet, roll it in some extra flour. I didn't make them too big and I got about 8 biscuits from this recipe. 
Slice a pound of strawberries thinly. Add the juice of a lemon and 1 teaspoon of sugar. I do recommend more sugar if you don't like the lemon tanginess, or use half of a lemon. 

strawberry filling
The online recipe also includes a recipe for whipping cream. The family wanted ice cream with ours instead. I recommend the cream, it brings it all together instead of having strawberries with ice cream and a biscuit on the side. Once I realized that, I served our dessert as an ice cream sandwich. 


The pomegranate-orangeade was made on a whim. We had a few pomegranates from my aunt's trees so I peeled them. We had some freshly squeezed orange juice in the fridge. I grabbed about two handful of seeds and muddled them with a sprig of freshly cut mint. I added the orange juice and let that sit for a while. Using a shift I poured the juices into another jar with ice. I like having some whole pomegranate seeds in there so I added those at the end. 

muddle                 
refreshing      
And this last one was from my manager, Bri. Slice some watermelon into cubes, add some handfuls of pomegranates, and chop up some mint. My brother devoured all of it... I got like two cubes. Well there you go... three different recipes for Summer, while it's still here... enjoy!





Comments

Popular Posts